Saturday, March 3, 2007

Mike's Bio


We have to submit a "Bio" blurb for NASA to post on the Spaceward Bound! Info page. Here's mine:

I was originally educated as a Mechanical Engineer, but never really got going in the industry due to the defense industry downturn of the late 80s. Like any unemployed, recent graduate, I moved back in with my parents, and began graduate studies. Before finishing my Computer Science Masters, I lucked out and received an offer from one of Silicon Valley's "dream" companies -- at least for a computer geek.


I remained with the same company for twelve years, until I decided to retire last year. I have no intention of remaining idle, though. I am back in school now, pursuing studies in (Astro-) Physics, Applied Mathematics and Economics at San Jose State University (SJSU).

I am currently in training for my Shotokan Karate Shodan (Black Belt) with my other interests varying widely from skiing, ice hockey, SCUBA and mountain biking to the more intellectual pursuits of amateur astronomy...and yes...the orchids in the picture are mine.


A little more on the pictures:

The underwater picture was taken in about 60' of water at a place called Blue Corner in Palau (Micronesia). If you click on my Palau photo album, you can see some more pictures from that trip. I'm giving the big "thumbs up" signal, because an eagle ray had just spent about 5 minutes hanging within arm's reach from me in the current over the edge of the reef. It was awesome.

The orchids have a bit of a story. They are inherited through a couple of generations. I believe that they were originally my Aunt Vyolet's, who gave them to my mother. When my parents moved to Hawai'i from Lafayette, they couldn't take the orchids with them, so I inherited them. They are really hardy, at least in my back yard, and produce some beautiful blossoms once or twice a year.

No comments: