Friday, March 2, 2007

I'm In!


Well, I just got the "official" word from both my Astrobiology professor, Dr. Kress and the co-director of the program, Dr. Coe that they managed to get me, and three others in my class, into NASA's Spaceward Bound! Expedition: Mojave 2007 program. Two others from our Astrobio class will also be at the facility during the same time, although they will be doing research for a separate class.

We'll be heading down to the Zzyzx research facility for five days, over SJSU's Spring Break, and participating in a number of different research projects. The idea behind the program is to infect teachers with an enthusiasm for space and exploratory science, which they will be able to pass on to their students. These same students being the ones who NASA will be sending to the Moon and Mars.

While all four of my class' participants are either in the science teaching track, or have an interest in teaching, we do have a bit of an ulterior motive for making the trip. We're actually studying the same science as part of our coursework. Since it's such a new and diverse field, it's one of the few classes we can take as either upper-division undergrads or grad students which will put us right at the cutting-edge of the science. Most other fields, especially in Physics, require years of study to get to the forefront of the field.

Of course, since we were added late, we are already behind in some of the coursework. No big deal. We're students. We can cram! :D

We have a bunch of essays to write. Nothing really difficult, just doing a bit of research on the web to help us determine which of the four "Science Themes" we will be interested in, and want to concentrate on for our week there. Being the Renaissance man kinda guy I am, I'll probably go for the "Sampler Plate", to get a taste of all four themes.

Another part of my "homework" is what you are reading now...We're keeping journals of our thoughts and experiences during the program, as well as a record of our research and ... homework.

Our final "assignment" is to create a bio blurb, and answer the same essay questions which our teacher counterparts did during their application process. So, as soon as I find a good picture of myself (not many exist -- especially of the non-fat version of myself), I'll post my first homework assignment here.

(Photo Credit: http://biology.fullerton.edu/facilities/dsc/zzyzx.html)

No comments: