Thursday, March 22, 2007

Last Minute Preparations


Well, it's almost time! I'm leaving for the Mojave, bright and early tomorrow morning. Of course, in the true spirit of a road trip, I am making a few stops along the way. There's a clue as to the whereabouts of my second stop, if you look really closely at the roof of my truck. I'll be arriving in Zzyzx Sunday afternoon, hopefully with enough daylight to set up my camp. Of course, photos will be incoming! I'll probably create another .mac photo album, and post a link in the list to the right.

I don't know whether I'll be able to update daily from the road, and Zzyzyx, but I'll be keeping a paper journal in the field, and I'll make plenty of text entries on my computer for upload when I have a connection.

Yes, we students get the true "field expedition" experience, and get to stay in tents for the week. Personally, I'm looking forward to it. Given the choice between the 12-people-to-a-room dorms, and a one-person-in-my-HUUUUUGE-tent, I'll take the tent. We still get access to the showers, toilets and catered food, so it should be really fun!

I still haven't decided whether I want to go with the "try a little bit" of all the science themes, or go into one in depth. I was originally thinking that I wanted to sample all of them. But, if I sample all, I won't have the chance to see one project all the way through from beginning to end. Ah well, decisions, decisions.

Dr. Kress took Peng, Melissa and me to NASA for the teleconference, yesterday, where we got to meet a few of the people who are running the show. The main presenters were late, so we were treated to an off-the-cuff presentation by Dr. Kress about how our Astrobio class is going, what we're studying, and what we are planning on doing in the desert. We even got to make fools of ourselves on the live teleconference by trying to introduce ourselves. I wish I had known we were going to be on the telecast, because I would have worn my "blue screen" t-shirt, and been a disembodied head, floating next to Dr. Kress for my little intro. :D

One of my fellow adventurers, who I can't wait to meet, is Mrs. Chippy. It's not often you get to meet such a well-traveled celebrity. Maybe I can get a picture and an autograph with her.

2 comments:

Kel said...

Yay! Have a great time! Your car looks very loaded up...

Ann L said...

What is on the top of your car?